Monday, March 14, 2011

Perfectly Clean Muffins


I know my previous posts about baking have been about sugar loaded sweets. And while yes, I do love sugar, I try to avoid it as much as possible! I workout very hard and try not to destroy my efforts. That's why I was so excited when I came across these while I was browsing through my Clean Eating Cookbook. I had most of the ingredients on hand and just needed to pick up a few things at the store to bake these up. 

They are delicious! The perfect amount of sweetness, great texture and a little crunch. The only problem is not going back for seconds!





morning glory muffins with apple pie spice
recipe by Tosca Reno, Eat Clean Cookbook

Dry Ingredients:
3/4 c whole-wheat flour
3/4 c oat-bran cereal
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp apple pie spice (recipe below)
1/2 c sucanant
1/2 tsp seat salt

Wet Ingredients:
1 banana, mashed
1/2 c kefir
1 egg white + 1 whole egg, well beaten
2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract, best quality
1 carrot, peeled & grated
1/2 c chopped, pitted dates
1/2 c chopped walnuts

1. Place a shallow casserole dish full of water in the bottom of the oven. Pre-heat oven to 425
2. Line muffin tins with silicon or paper liners or by spraying with cooking spray
3. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well.
4. Combine all wet ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Mix well.
5. Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix until just combined. Do not overmix or your muffins will come out flat and rubbery.
6. Spoon batter into muffin cups until 3/4 full. Place in hot oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack. 

apple pie spice

1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground cardamom

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix well to combine. Store until ready to use. 


No comments:

Post a Comment