Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Soup for the Soul

Nothing warms the soul on a cold dreary day better than a warm bowl of soup. I started looking at things leftover in the fridge that I never got around to cooking and wondered what I could make with them. I had a bunch of leeks, a 5 lb bag of potatoes, some parmigiano reggiano, whole milk and thought... SOUP!!! I started looking around online for a potato and leek soup recipe and they all required things I did not have on hand, so I made up my own. Now I don't really measure when I'm cooking (unless I'm baking of course!) so some of my measurements aren't precise. Add a little this, a little that, you get the idea, and the end product was nothing short of amazing!


I know the picture sucks! We already ate when I realized I hadn't taken a photo yet!

Easy Potato Leek Soup

3 leeks, chopped, white and light green parts only
2 lbs potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1in cubes
Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper
1 qt chicken stock
1/2 c or more grated parmigiano reggiano
1/2 c or more whole milk, or whatever you have on hand (heavy cream would be great)

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Place potatoes and leeks on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Toss to cote. Bake 45 minutes, tossing once. Set aside. In the meantime, grate parmesan cheese (I used my food processor). Set aside. In a large pot warm up 1/2 or so of the chicken stock. Place half of the potato leek mixture in the food processor when half of the remaining chicken stock. Blend until mixture is smooth. Add to pot. Repeat with remaining potato mixture and chicken stock. Once everything is in the pot stir in mild. I did not measure, rather poured in until the consistency was to my liking. About half a cup or so. Stir in cheese, salt and pepper, and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment