Monday, June 21, 2010

Little Bird

Today was a very sad day for me.

Taylor has been feeling a little under the weather so instead of going to the gym this morning I decided to take a walk in the neighborhood (I don't want her getting any kiddos sick). My friend Whitney was so kind to let me borrow her jogger which is much easier to maneuver around the neighborhood than my orbit. I usually walk around my section of the neighborhood, cross over to the other section, and come back up the street I live on. This time I decided to make an extra loop that brings me up along the side of my house. The nice thing about this is I get to stay on the sidewalk. I was literally steps from my front door when I stepped on something "squishy." I looked down and screamed.... it was a little bird :( The stroller was blocking my view of the sidewalk in front of me so I didn't see it! I don't know if he was already hurt or if I'm the one that did the damage. I stood there for what seemed like forever trying to figure out what I was supposed to do! He was in very bad shape. I knew he was going to die, but it seemed like it was going to be a slow painful death. Then, before I could think any more the bird is in Max's mouth. I screamed and screamed until he dropped the poor thing. At that point he wasn't moving anymore. Max had killed the little bird! I was relieved in a way that the little bird doesn't have to suffer anymore, but I am horrified. So were the little birds friends. They were flying around over head and chirping at us. I just feel so bad. I called Paul and he asked if I was going to pick up the bird, but I can't bring myself to do it. All I can think is this is someone's (ok, some birds) baby! I would want someone to pick up my baby instead of leaving him laying there but it is just to hard for me. I keep looking at him out the window hoping that he won't be there anymore. But he is.

So to the little bird... I am very sorry! Please forgive me and rest peacefully!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my. Better you than me... I would have been giving the poor thing cpr and rushing it to the nearest rescue center. To date I have saved:
    (1) BABY RACOON
    (2) BABY SWALLOWS
    (15-20) BABY FROGS BY MY POND
    and I'm sure many more, but I can't remember...
    I'm sure after tonight, it still won't be there in the morning, but if it is, you should bury the little guy:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, poor little thing- I hate seeing little sick animals! Really, though, if a baby bird was just sitting on a sidewalk, there was probably something wrong already. Don't feel bad. Max did a good thing and put it out of its misery. Hope your week gets better- and I hope to see you and wittle Taylor soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm sorry that made for a sad day for you! I'll agree with the comment above, I imagine the bird was not well to begin with.

    On another note, thanks for adding my blog to your blog links (which is how I found you!).
    Hope you have a better day today!

    ReplyDelete