Saturday, April 23, 2011

Fainting

When Taylor was a baby she would get so upset and hold her breath when she was crying. I'm talking about that type of cry where the mouth is opened, the face is beat red, and no sound is coming out. 

Taylor, 1 month old

A friend of mine who had a baby 3 months before Taylor told me that her friends little girl cried like that one time and fainted! The doctor said it is very common and probably won't be the last time. Ever since she told me I've always wondered with Taylor if this is the cry that is going to cause her to faint. 

Honestly, I thought we passed that stage because she doesn't really cry like that anymore. 

That is until today. It's been one of those days where nothing makes her happy. Something (I still don't know what) made her so mad that she screamed until nothing was coming out. I quickly realized that this was probably the longest she had ever held her breath for and maybe this was the "time." I picked her up and started blowing in her face (which has always worked). She quickly took a breath, cried, and then went limp in my arms. I saw her eyes roll in the back of her head, and then like that, she came too. It was only a matter of seconds, but I remember it so vividly.

Everyone keeps asking if I was freaking out, or crying. No, I wasn't. I was very frazzled and extremely concerned about the health of my daughter, but part of me has always expected this to happen. I think the fact that I remained calm helped Taylor to not freak out. 

Taylor is doing fine and probably doesn't even know what happened. I just hope it doesn't happen again! Even though I've always expected it, that doesn't make any less scary!

1 comment:

  1. That is so scary!! Amazing that she can hold her breath till she faints. Poor little Taylor! :(

    ReplyDelete