Friday, April 15, 2011

Feeling Green

So my farm box is loaded with GREENS!!! This is great for me since I try to follow a clean eating diet. Including lots of greens is very important. I've been researching recipes online and came across one for collard greens that sounded delicious. Lucky for me I had all other ingredients on hand so I was able to create a wonderful side to accompany some chicken. 

These really are delicious! If you've never cooked collard greens before then give them a try! You won't be disappointed!

Here is the recipe I found on healthy-endeavors.com


Collard Greens w/Carmelized Onions, Raisins and Walnuts
Ingredients:
2 bunches fresh collard greens
2 large onions
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. raisins
small handful of walnuts
salt, to taste
Directions:
1. Wash collard greens, pat dry and cut from the stalk.  Lie several leaves on top of each other, roll up like a cigar and slice into 1/4″ strips. Chop strips into smaller pieces.
2. Slice onions into half crescents.
3. In large skillet, heat olive oil and saute onions on medium heat for 15-20 minutes, until sweet, making sure not to burn them.
4. Add collard greens and saute for approximately 10 minutes until wilted.
5. Add raisins and walnuts and cook another 1-2 minutes.
6. Add salt, to taste.




(please excuse the quality of the photo, as it was taken with my iphone)

Since Paul was out of town I cut the recipe down. I only used half the collards I had, a quarter of an onion, a few walnuts, and a handful of raisins (maybe a little extra).  If you try them leave a comment and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment